So, another year and the ITSM industry is alive with debate and discussion, opportunity, challenge and as ever some uncertainty. I’m not one for making resolutions or big predictions (both usually fail in mid January..!), but I do have some basic aspirations for the year ahead…
These can be summarized in 2 words: Practical Unity
- Practical – as I feel we are still not providing enough real guidance and useful messages to practitioners on how to make ITSM successful – and meet the new challenges
- Unity – so that we as an industry can forget some of the negative debate and move on to actually engage with the challenges and deliver real value from technology.
So what I would like to see is the industry coming togegher more, as well as providing more useable and practical advice and ‘stuff’ for our practitioners to use. We need to forget about whether or not we agree that our methodologies are perfect/imperfect and get on with simply using our experience and creativity to step up and deliver value from IT Services. Of course we need to ensure that what we use in terms of content and approach is usable – as a lot of the existing stuff is.
There are a whole lot of great people practitioners, consultants, trainers and vendors out there with fantastic experience who know how to make ITSM work, and they should be celebrated and supported along with those who are coming up with great new ideas – both are required and required tow work in unison – not in polarised opposition.
My own contribution to this will be a development of the ITSMGoodness stuff that I’ve been putting out over the last few months – This is now a series of 7 simple steps to practical ITSM success and includes e.g. checklists, templates and practical guidance, all of which I’ll be espousing over the coming months, including presentations at PINK13, SITS13 and SDI13 amongst other shows and events..
The 7 ITSMGoodness steps are:
- Engage and Listen to Customers
- Build Services based on business outcomes
- Invest in the Service Desk
- Get Problem Management working
- Report on useful stuff
- Get the whole IT organisation involved
- Change the pitch – sell the value
So lets all have a year of ITSMGoodness – together…!
What’s your plan for ITSM Goodness + Practical Unity?